We all know that Virginia Beach is home to rich history, a flourishing assortment of local hotels and dining places, tons of tourist attractions and a variety of entertainment attractions. Heck, we even know that it’s the best destination to keep you entertained whether you’re looking for an adventure or just want to unwind. However, there are a few surprising facts about Virginia Beach that will blow your mind.
It holds the record for the longest pleasure beach on the planet in the Guinness Book of World Records.
While tourism is the major contributor to the economy, the military and agribusiness sectors also play a big part in as far as boosting the economy goes.
- Virginia Beach is home to 3.5 military bases including the NAB Little Creek, NAS Oceana, and the FTC Dam Neck.
- Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia with a population of about 425,000.
- Virginia Beach’s average temperature is 60 degrees.
- Virginia Beach is home to plenty of celebrities including Gabrielle Douglas, Pharrell Williams, and Missy Elliot.
- Virginia Beach has one of the largest landfills in the country and that’s where Virginia Beach performs its 4th of July celebrations.
- Virginia Beach is generally quite large geographically with 497.3 square miles in size.
- The Chesepians were the first inhabitants of Virginia Beach.
- The Military Aviation Museum planes actually fly so if you go for a visit you’ll get to experience seeing them in action.
- Virginia Beach has an aerial forest park where you can zip line, hop bridges and dart through aerial trails. That’s definitely something you don’t see anywhere else.
- Virginia Beach’s Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge is one of the last remaining undeveloped areas along the Atlantic Coast.
Virginia Beach is no doubt a great scenic place to enjoy your vacation. However, away from the fun and games, there’s obviously a ton of other interesting things about Virginia Beach that make it all the more alluring to visitors from all over the world. We have covered 12 suspiring facts about Virginia Beach but there are tons of other amazing facts that’ll blow your mind no doubt.